Our Mission & Philosophy
The Manitoba Down Syndrome Society provides support, information and opportunities for individuals with Down syndrome, parents, professionals and other interested persons.
The Manitoba Down Syndrome Society was established in 1991 by a group of visionary parents who wanted to ensure that individuals with Down syndrome and their support network would have access to supports and services specific to their needs. They understood the need to increase public awareness of the abilities of individuals born with Down syndrome.
The Manitoba Down Syndrome Society (MDSS) was incorporated in November of 1991 and given its charitable status number in February of 1992. MDSS is an affiliate of the Canadian Down Syndrome Society. The Manitoba Down Syndrome Society is a non-profit organization operated by volunteers.
Our Goals & Objectives
MDSS strives to:
- Be a support for parents, caregivers and families of individuals with Down syndrome.
- Provide an opportunity for individuals with Down syndrome to participate in the direction of the MDSS.
- Maintain a communications network from which members can access current, comprehensive information about Down syndrome.
- Develop support services and projects which benefit individuals with Down syndrome.
- Provide forums for the exchange of information and ideas between parents and professionals.
- Enhance public awareness and understanding of Down syndrome.